Rwanda’s government has implemented an electronic visa program to expedite the arrival of US visitors planning to visit the country for short-term tourism.
The Rwanda eVisa program, which debuted in 2018, is now available to citizens of more than 100 countries, including Americans.
Unlike other visas, the Rwanda e-visa for US citizens can be obtained entirely online and in as little as 15 minutes. Citizens of the United States can apply for a Rwanda electronic visa from the comfort of their own homes, eliminating the need for an in-person appointment at the embassy or the submission of a plethora of paperwork.
1. Do US citizen need a visa for Rwanda?
One of the most frequently asked questions about visiting this African country is, “Do US citizens need a visa to visit Rwanda?”
Yes, the answer is ” Yes”. According to the Rwandan government, most foreign citizens, including Americans, require some form of travel authorization in order to enter the country legally.
According to Rwanda’s current visa policy, US citizens may use a variety of visas to visit Rwanda, including the electronic visa (e-Visa), business visas, employment visas, and even the visa on arrival program (also known as the VoA).
The Rwanda electronic visa is the simplest and most straightforward visa for Americans to obtain.
What is the Rwanda e visa for US citizens?
The Rwanda e Visa for US citizens is:
- Valid for 30 days after being issued
- A single-entry visa
- A travel permit that allows US visitors to stay in Rwanda for up to 30 days.
The electronic visa to enter Rwanda from the United States can be used for the purposes of tourism, leisure, and visiting friends and family.
Americans who want to visit Rwanda for other reasons (such as relocating, volunteering, or studying) should contact the Rwanda embassy in the United States for more information on the necessary visa.
2. Type of Rwanda e-visas
Rwanda’s visa policy provides international visitors with various visa options based on their country of origin. Americans can choose between the following Rwanda e-Visa types:
- Rwanda e-Tourist Visa for US citizens has a maximum validity of 30 days after arrival from the entry date. Also, it allows a Single Entry to Rwanda.
- Rwanda Conference e-Visa for US citizens: Professionals from the United States can visit Rwanda for business meetings, conferences, and corporate events. Americans can use this visa for a single entry to Rwanda and stay there for 30 days
- Rwanda transit e-visa for US citizens : If an American traveler is passing through Rwanda on their way to another destination, they can request this travel authorization. This visa is valid for 72 hours
- East Africa Visa: This visa allows travelers to enter Kenya, Rwanda, and Uganda on the same visa. With this visa, you can visit three countries and stay for up to 90 days in each.
3. Rwanda e-visa requirements for US citizens:
There are only a few Rwanda e-visa requirements for US citizens due to its simple and convenient structure. Among them are the following:
- You must have a valid passport issued by the United States.
- Upload a digital scan of the applicant’s US passport’s biographical page.
- Using a credit or debit card, pay the Rwandan e-Visa processing fee.
- Please provide a current email address.
- Display a basic travel itinerary of what the US applicant intends to do in Rwanda.
Applicants from the United States should pay special attention to their passport and ensure that it checks these two requirements:
- It must be valid for at least 6 months from the date of entry into Rwanda
- It needs to have a minimum of one blank page
If the passport is due to expire within 6 months and/or there are no blank pages remaining, American passengers should obtain a new US passport before applying for the Rwanda e-Visa.
Once all of these requirements have been met, Americans can proceed to the next step, which is to apply for a Rwanda electronic visa.
3. How to get a Rwanda visa for US citizens?
American citizens can get a visa for Rwanda from US by completing the online application form.
There are only a few steps to take, and applicants from the United States should expect to spend about 15 minutes on the whole thing.
Step 1: Complete the form by answering some basic questions about the American applicant, their passport information, and their contact information.
Citizens of the United States applying for a Rwanda e Visa should consider when they plan to travel to Rwanda as well as how they intend to enter the country. This is due to a question on the e-Visa form regarding the applicant’s expected date of arrival.
Similarly, Americans can enter Rwanda through Kigali International Airport or any land border.
Step 2: Upload a photo of the biometric page of an American passport. Please double-check that the scanned image is legible and clear.
Step 3: Pay the e-Visa application fee. Before submitting the form for consideration, Americans should go over their answers one last time and correct any errors or typos. This is critical because the Rwanda e-Visa for the United States may be denied if there are inconsistencies or errors on the application.
How long does it take to process the Rwanda Visa for US citizens?
American nationals can expect to receive their Rwanda eVisa within 3 business days after completing, paying for, and successfully submitting their application.
In rare cases, the authorization may take longer to process. This is usually due to high volume or during peak tourist season.
As a result, American citizens are encouraged to apply for their Rwanda electronic visa well in advance of their expected departure date.
4. Application Form for the Rwanda visa for US citizens?
To obtain the Cambodia e-Visa, American citizens must fill out an online form. It’s quick and straightforward to complete, requiring just a few personal details and passport information.
Here is a list of required details:
- Full name
- Date of birth
- Country of citizenship
- Passport number, issue, and expiry date
- Date of arrival in Cambodia
American citizens are advised to check their information carefully before submitting the form. Any errors could lead to processing delays.
5. Traveling to Rwanda With an e-Visa From the USA
After submitting the Rwanda visa application form, applicants from the United States can expect to receive their approved Rwanda e-Visa within one to three business days.
US citizens may enter Rwanda with their approved e-Visa within 30 days of its issuance. Holders will need to apply for a new visa if they do not use their online visa to enter the country within this time frame.
It is recommended that American visitors bring a copy of their approved Rwanda eVisa with them when entering the country. Visitors from the United States must present it to an immigration official when crossing the border, along with the passport used for the application.